Eco-Friendly Luxury Sheets
Navigating the world of sustainable linens can be as multi-layered as a fully-dressed bed. There are many factors to consider when you're trying to make the smarter choice. At Comphy, not only do we understand this, we've made it a priority in everything we do.
Eco-friendly reasons to choose Comphy: Comphy linens use less energy than any alternative. They're lighter than cotton, therefore they dry faster. Comphy linens are recyclable. Comphy linens last 2-3 times longer than a standard cotton sheet. Replacing your sheets less frequently significantly adds to sustainability. Comphy linens are wrinkle free. You'll use less energy from pressing equipment.
NATURAL FIBERS vs SYNTHETIC FIBERS
Natural fibers include cotton, hemp and bamboo, and there are many misnomers about them in an environmental context. For example:
- Commercially-grown cotton uses millions of tons of water and 20% of the world's pesticides to produce. The pesticides are among the most toxic chemicals classified by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Organic cotton has a low impact on the environment, but less than 1% of the world's cotton is organic.
- Hemp and bamboo have not been researched extensively for environmental impact. There is no known organic certification for bamboo and the process of producing bamboo fiber can be very polluting.
The most common synthetic fiber used for linens is microfiber. These synthetics represent the majority of the world's fabric usage, but use only one percent of fossil fuel demand. Comphy is made of a high performance microfiber, designed to withstand the rigors of laundering while providing a soft, lush feel.
IT ALL COMES OUT IN THE WASH.
When it comes to linens in the spa or hospitality industry, or even at home, laundry and lifecycle are crucial factors. Often, a true test of sustainability is how much water consumption is involved with the making and care of your linens (whether at an in-house laundry facility or an outsourced one). The production of one acre of cotton requires 25,000 tons of water, whereas production of the same amount of the material used to make Comphy linens requires four tons. The numbers speak for themselves.
THE PLANET-FRIENDLY CHALLENGE
It's not always easy to make sustainable choices. At Comphy we are constantly challenging ourselves to make the right decisions, not just for our customers but for the planet. After all, we make our bed and we lie in it, right? Here are some ways we've found to help you choose well, too.
Sustainable Linens Guidelines & Tips
- Review your treatment protocols to see if they can be re-engineered to use fewer sheets and towels.
- Make sure you are using high-efficiency dryers.
- Take advantage of Comphy's Recycling Program!
- We have a partner company that will take your retired linens and recycle them free of charge - all you pay is the shipping!
- Contact your sales rep for information on where you can send your old sheets to be recycled.
- Don't want to ship? We've been donating for years within our own community - contact us for a list of suggestions.
"At Blu Spas, Comphy is our first choice for sustainable linen. We encourage the luxury resort spas that we work with to follow environmentally-responsible practices, saving water and energy whenever possible. Performance fabric is quick-drying, wrinkle-free and outlasts all the competitors. As a testament to how amazing they feel, all my bed linens at home are Comphy. It's the best of both worlds: we can offer luxurious Comphy experiences while at the same time taking care of the environment."- Lisa Jacobs, Board Member of the GREEN SPA NETWORK Senior Spa & Wellness Consultant, Blu Spas
Sustainable Furnishings Council MEMBER
"Sustainable" or "environmentally-safe" or "eco-friendly" furnishings are made and distributed in ways that protect our planet. SFC members take immediate steps to minimize carbon emissions, waste stream pollutants, un-recyclable content and primary materials from unsustainable sources from any product platform under their control.