Did You Know Babies Love Massages Too?
As our spa clients can testify, the benefits of a great massage are endless and essential to some wellness routines. But did you know that babies can benefit from a massage as well?
The positive effects of massage are backed by science, but the bottom line is it just feels good! A gentle calming massage can help stimulate a baby’s nervous system, increasing serotonin (feel-good chemical) and decreasing cortisol (our primary stress hormone) thereby allowing us to feel relaxed and peaceful. And what better feeling to have your baby associate with time spent with you?
If you’ve been thinking about baby massage, here are a few tips to get started.
- Allow 10-15 minutes at a time when baby is already calm. Don’t massage immediately after a feeding or when your baby is upset, unless you’ve discovered this helps calm them down.
- Find a peaceful place, and perhaps include luxury baby sheets that were modeled after the linens used on massage tables at 5-star spas.
- Use a soft touch. Start out very gently and see how your baby responds. You’ll know what they like and dislike from their reactions.
- Keep it as simple as you like, or add in things like a gentle oil or lotion. Be sure it’s a baby approved product.
- If your baby has any underlying health issues, be sure to check with their pediatrician first.